Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Big Dream

Sermon given at Grace UMC 9/6/15

Click here for audio

NRSExodus 3:7 Then the LORD said, "I have observed the misery of my people who are in Egypt; I have heard their cry on account of their taskmasters. Indeed, I know their sufferings, 8 and I have come down to deliver them from the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the country of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 9 The cry of the Israelites has now come to me; I have also seen how the Egyptians oppress them. 10 So come, I will send you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt."

Every one of us has dreams, some of them are big dreams and some of them are unfilled dreams but all of us have dreams. Over the next three weeks I intend to explore with you what it means to have dreams and why God wants you to fulfill your dreams. When Disney World held its grand opening in Orlando Florida, the widow of Walt Disney attended the ceremony. The great park was beautiful, exceeding every hope and dream. Someone walked up to Mrs. Disney and said, “I wish Walt could have seen this.” She smiled and replied, “He did.” If there hadn’t been a Walt Disney to dream it into existence, Disney World would never have been built. Walt Disney did not let the fact that the technology did not exist to stop him from inventing it. He allowed his dreams to guide him in spite of the world’s naysayer’s who said a permanent amusement park will never make a profit. In fact, I am told, that Disney envisioned a community with the best technology, people living with the things that we can only imagine as they went about their daily lives. This place was to be called Epcot. When Disney passed away the people at Disney could not see what he saw and so Epcot became another amusement park rather than the community Walt intended it to be. There are two types of people in the world, those that pursue their dreams and those who deny them. What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you achieve your dream? When I was little I wanted to be an astronaut and touch the sky. I learned to fly at a young age and pursued my dream. What I found was there was a bigger dream than even I could have imagined.

But if I had not pursued the big dream, I would not have found the special dream that God had just for me. George Bernard Shaw sums it up best when he said, “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?”
Over the next three weeks we are going to learn about
Discovering the dream
How to move out of your comfort zone
Escaping the bullies
Persevering through the wilderness
Finding Sanctuary
Battling the giants
Entering the Promised Land

Much of this material comes from a great little book titled The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson. In fact I brought a copy with me so that you can see how small it is and yet I want you to know that it is the biggest little book I have ever found, next to the Bible. When you think you cannot, read this book.
Do you remember when you learned to swim? Remember stepping into the water for the first time and when you stepped out into water above your head. It was scary wasn’t it? And yet you did not want to appear to be scared so you dived in, right? Well, for most of us the answer is no. This was unfamiliar territory and we were not about to step out there.

That is where most dreams lie. Most of us are in our own comfort zones where we are content and happy. Life may not be what we want it to be and maybe it could be better, but hey, I am ok. And besides, no one else I know is out there doing silly stuff like pursuing their dreams. When you were little, did you parents tell you that you could do anything that you set your mind to as long as you pursued it? Or were your parents like mine who suggested that you should just be satisfied with life as it is?

We’ll talk about them next week, but suffice it to say that many of us never pursue our dreams because we are convinced we could not achieve them anyway. But just like learning to swim, if you step our in faith and with a little guidance, well wonderful things can happen.

But what does the bible say? Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,
God is constantly telling us to run the race. Don’t stand around wishing you had, just jump right in. But this would require us to step out of our own comfort zones and leave the land of familiar behind. Why isn’t that what the new minister is asking me to do? He is saying that we need to step out in faith if we want the church to grow or for God to speak to us or…..

How would the story of Israel have ended if Moses had reacted differently? How did he react? Exodus 3:11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" How about Abraham? Or David and Goliath? Each of us comes to this place today with a big dream. It may be that we want to finish our education or help the poor. I remember not to many years ago that for a young girl to have any ambition was an unthinkable thing. Why, women are to stay home and have babies and shouldn’t they be happy with that? I wonder how many of us would be where we are today if our own mothers bought into that concept. What is your comfort zone? Where is it that you go on any given day? And while you are there do you ever dream about what might have been or what might be possible? And do you tell your children and grandchildren that they can achieve anything if they try? In order to achieve our dreams we first have to listen for them. I suspect all of you at this point are thinking about your own dreams, the ones you had or the ones you have. I know an 83 year old woman who is attended seminary. Oh she will tell you she never expects to preach. And yet, she was impacting an unbelievable group of young adults just because she was there. See, she decided to pursue her dream even though life and time had gotten in the way. It’s never too late to pursue your dreams. But first you have to value the dream more than you own comfort. Hebrews 11 tell us that ”13 All of these died in faith without having received the promises, but from a distance they saw and greeted them. They confessed that they were strangers and foreigners on the earth, 14 for people who speak in this way make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15 If they had been thinking of the land that they had left behind, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.”

If each of those that followed God had stayed in their comfort zones, where would we be today? You have to accept the possibility of failing. In fact God suggests in Hebrews 12 that we are to endure hardships in order to be guided through the childhood phase of our lives. And we must choose to be strong and courageous and make decisions not to turn back – a commitment with no escape clause. Have you ever considered the implications of a prenuptial agreement? Why the couple has written an escape clause for their eventual failure. They have one foot out the door before they ever step into the room. Don’t we do the same thing every day?


I’m gonna listen to this discipleship stuff, but you are not going to get me to buy into it until I see some results. I mean, I want the church to grow and I want to have that joy and I want to have a relationship with God, BUT! My good friend Rick Griffith tells me all the time that I have to let go of my comfort zone and listen to the quiet voice of God. Next week we will explore what is holding you back and who is holding you back. But for right now, do you have dreams? I want you to know that God has a dream for you. It is there for you to reach out and grab it. Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment