Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Path in Front of us

Sermon given at Grace UMC on 4/10/16

Click here for audio

Scripture Reading:

NRS  Mark 1:13 He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him. 14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news." 16 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea-- for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, "Follow me and I will make you fish for people." 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19 As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

In Sunday school, they were teaching how God created everything, including human beings. Little Johnny seemed especially intent when they told him how Eve was created out of one of Adam's ribs. Later in the week, his mother noticed him lying down as though he were ill, and said, 'Johnny what is the matter?' Little Johnny responded, 'I have a pain in my side. I think I'm going to have a wife.'

On a sunny morning, William's mother came into her son's room and said, "William, it's Sunday. Time to get up! Time to get up and go to church! Get up!"  From under the covers came mumbles, "I don't want to go!" "What do you mean?" she said. "That's silly! Now get up and get dressed and go to church!" "No!" he shot back. "I'll give you two reasons. I don't like them and they don't like me!" "Nonsense," she told him. "I'll give YOU two reasons to go. First, you are 42 years old, and second, you are the PASTOR!"

This morning we come to the call scripture. Imagine for a moment that a stranger walks up to you while you are busy doing what you do. This stranger stands there for a moment and then says to you, come with me and I will make a carpenter or a teacher or a salesman for human beings. The Kingdom of God is near! What would you do? If you are like most people you would probably laugh and scoff at the stranger and then go on about your work. But I wonder if that person where Jesus if you might feel differently. I wonder if God were physically present in front of you if you might not feel a strange tug at your heart to listen and respond? Simon Peter, Andrew, John and James all do. They drop what they are doing and the respond.

Many years ago I felt a calling to ministry. It was in high school and Ed and I went and talked to Dr. Dietrich about ministry. I was in the 12th grade and felt this awesome call to become a preacher. But the truth was that I wanted to do something else in life so I left that call to pursue other adventures. I might mention that the call never went away, it just became dormant. Ed on the other hand pursued it and became a minister long before I did. We are still friends today. Then in 1981 an industrial accident blew an eight foot grate through a control room and into my head. It is why most of you recognize that I am not always right in my head. From that I suffered a moderate concussion and lost all of my short term memory for a while. Men, it is the greatest excuse when talking with your spouse, having a short term memory loss. You really don’t remember what conversation just took place and you have a medical condition to justify it. All humor aside it took years to regain what I lost. But what I had is a second chance at life. Again I remember this time sitting with Reverend Sweat and talking about the call. But again I bolted back into the secular world because I could not see myself as a preacher. Now you need to know that when I was small my grandmother on my dad’s side said that I would be a preacher with a deep voice. Well one outa two ain’t bad. But then in the late 90’s I again felt that call, deeper and stronger than the first two times. I remember traveling as part of my job and either lying awake at night with the rich young man story on my heart or waking from deep sleep having dreamed that I was the rich young man and that I walked away from God. So I began to explore ministry as a lifestyle and the more I explored, the more I felt the call. I remember having a prayerful discussion with God about the need for school and how I could not become a minister if God didn’t open a door. Within that week an e-mail arrived from the Methodist Board of Education outlining a path in front of me to do just that.

I would love to sit here this morning and tell you that the road to ministry has been easy. But it has not been. There have been pitfalls and struggles, most of them brought about because I messed up, and yet, all along the way God has been faithful. So I am here this morning to witness to you that Simon Peter, Andrew, John and James took the more difficult road. They could have stayed and lived out their lives doing what they had always done. But they chose to follow Jesus. Their lives were markedly changed forever and each would come to an untimely death for the faith, with the exception of John who would live out his life in exile to bring us an even greater vision of God. But they chose to go. That is what it means to be a disciple, to choose to go, wherever and whenever and however God calls you to do that. It no longer is your choice, rather you submit yourself to the will of God and go. Jesus told us that when He said to us, Go therefore, make disciples, baptizing them in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and teach them all that I have commanded of you. He commanded us to love God with all our hearts and to love our neighbors in the same way. That is our mission.

So whether you answer that call to be a preacher, or a teacher, or a carpenter, or a business owner or whatever God calls you to do, you answer. And when you do, you begin to realize that God’s call is greater than anything the world has to offer. But you go! Today we come to this place and this hour with the question of call on each of us. What does it mean? Where God do you want me to go and what do you want me to do? Maybe it is as simple as showing up for a Habitat or Ramp project and lifting a hand to assist. Maybe it means providing healthcare to those less fortunate and sometimes doing it without expecting anything in return. Sometimes it means letting go of the past and reaching out into the future with no expectations except to do the will of the one who will send you. But whatever it is, it means that you are willing to learn from Jesus and become more like Him.

David and Goliath, Noah and his ark, Ruth and Naomi, Daniel in prison, Philip and the Eunuch….nearly every Bible story is the history of God providing an opportunity to the followers to use their skill set, combined with the desires that God put in their hearts to bring glory to God in their calling.  Recognize that Daniel in prison did not necessarily realize that he was in the midst of fulfilling God’s calling, but he was using his skills (dream interpretation), he had a desire to serve and he somehow trusted that God would give him that opportunity. And when we open our hearts to do the will of God, there will be affirmation and confirmation of that call. If we are called to preach, then our preaching will be well received, if we are called to teach, others will lift up our teaching, this is the way of things when you are called and accept that call.

As a church we need to work at identifying ways of witnessing to the call within our congregations. We need to say to people, answer the invitation of God and become the person God wants you to be. It starts by entering into the conversation in prayer, asking God for direction and listening to the voice of God that will come from prayer, the Word, and others who also feel you call. Jay Carey, a good friend and pastor at the church I attended in the 90’s one night said to me, you know, if you would listen and obey, God has a place for you. I remember that it came during a time when I had been deceived in my business world and had lost more money than I even knew I had. But I was praying for direction and it came from a friend. So listen to the voices around you but only after spending time in prayer.

Today we enter into a forty day period of intentional prayer for our General Conference and the delegates. We enter asking that God’s will be done and then a willingness on the other end to accept that will. We enter into a time of intentional prayer for the church as well. The path in front of us is full of uncertainty and tribulation. But each of us, as part of the Body of Christ, can bring to this table skills, wisdom and energy to face that future and move into it rather than shying away from it. We must become the people God called us to be. We must go where God calls us to go and do what God asks us to do. The path in front of us has Jesus standing there saying to each of us, follow me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment