Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week 5 begins

Tomorrow begins the fifth week of recovery from my open heart surgery. This last week has been a struggle at times to deal with both nausea that seems to hang with me much of the day, every day and the pain from my chest area that has gone from an irritation to a stinging pain. I am sure, after talking with others that this is normal healing stuff I have to deal with, but it wears on you when it is hour after hour and day after day. I am so thankful for Bonnie who has to take care of me and keep me doing the things I need to do. But I will admit that hearing from my children would be nice.
I have pondered what all this means in the spiritual sense. Paul often talked about the thorn that God would not take away. And after talking to the Doctor I realize that I have been given a great gift, especially in light of dealing with this for at least two years and that through God's grace, a heart attack or something bad did not happen. I have been exploring in my mind what it means to have hope. When everything else is wearing that down, what does it mean to share in the hope of the resurrection knowing that we are eternal beings. First it makes this pain and suffering easier to bear. Second it allows us to focus on what we need to be doing rather than what is happening to us. For example, I feel strongly that within the next six months I am going to offer to the community a worship service that is more about interactive discussion centered around a message than a traditional sermon style. It may take some learning on my part to pull it off, but God willing, it may be just the thing to break through some barriers that exist here on the shore.
Week five is a week of doing the same things I have been doing. Taking it easy for the most part is at the top of the list. Walking 25 minutes each day is second. I am thankful for the congregation whose love sustains me during this tough time. I am thankful for Kirk Mariner, retired minister and author who has been filling in who includes me in each weeks discussion to allow me to continue to be in touch. And I am thankful for a God who gives us second chances.  

3 comments:

  1. I remember my double hernia and how I quit whining because Erma (75) had bypass and they had her on her feet about when I was on mine. Heal fast, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! So are you telling me to eat some cheese with my whine? I especially like provolone. Love you my brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom (Less than Honorable) LesterJuly 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

    No, you are on the bypass side of this equation. I respect what you've been through. Was ashamed to whine when she was going through THAT! God bless. Hug the Lunie Bird for us!

    ReplyDelete